Friday 27 April 2012

Evaluation Q3: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


From the research into films based on computer games, I found that these films were often very similar to action films without the basis of a computer game, hence the actual production being very similar in style to normal action films, however in terms of  the production and distribution companies for these films they tended to be smaller companies.

Film District
From learning this I deduced that smaller more indie focused companies were more likely to distribute films based on computer games as they are often seen as quite a risk. therefore I looked for a distribution company which had not only released a selection of action films but which also released films aimed at my target audience, as well as seeming to take risks in the films they released, therefore for a primary distribution company I thought Film District would be a logical choice.


Film district have produced a number of films in the vain of my own and also seem willing to take risks on new IP and less obviously mainstream titles. here are a number of examples of films they have produced:
File:Lockout film poster.jpg


EA
As my film opening was to be based on a computer game, I felt it would be logical to have a computer game company involved in the production and distribution stages. From prior knowledge of the games industry I felt that EA would be the most logical choice due their size as a distribution company, and also the nature of the games they release.

EA are one of the biggest names when it comes to distributing action franchises and titles, owning IP such as the Battlefield, Crysis and Mass effect series'. Therefore I felt it would be most likely that they would be the company behind a release of my product.



Another benefit of choosing EA as a distribution company is the brand recognition it would command, they would be able to put a lot of money behind the project and the EA brand name would help to sell the product to a larger potential audience.




No comments:

Post a Comment